cdlc92
Newly Registered

Apple Tree Leaves Covered in Orange Spots

We have a granny smith apple tree. It seems to have some kind of fungus. The leaves are covered in orange, thick, rough spots. It looks similar to a mosaic virus, but I found something on the internet that looked similar to it; Juniper Rust. I don't think that is what is has, but it has never been too successful at fruiting and always yields very small apples thought they taste fine. Can anyone help?

applestar
Mod

It's Cedar Apple Rust. The cedar trees are alternate hosts and if there are any growing anywhere near, it's REALLY hard to control. Best preventive is to grow resistant variety of apples. I have a fairly resistant Enterprise that still gets them as well as some newly planted (and vulnerable) trees. It's been pretty bad this year being cool and wet through June and now Hot and muggy.

I'm clipping off the affected leaves and stepping up my 10% milk spray to 20~30%, and will be foliar spraying and drenching with Aerated Compost Tea. I don't like to use chemical control so I won't. Worst case, I'll be picking my apples early and making more Green/Unripe Apple Butter (if interested, see [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16841&highlight=]my recipe[/url] :wink:

Return to “Apple Topics”