Delilah
Cool Member

Apple Tree that Grows in Warm Temperate Sub-Tropical Area?

I want to grow some apple trees. Can someone please advise me which of these varieties should grow well in my climate, I.e. warm-temperate/sub-tropical?

I am only intersted in really CRISP and crunchy, juicy varieties. I just hate even slightly mushy or powdery apples.

(I did ask the company for their recommendations but they weren't very helpful - a really brief uninformative answer! Probably too busy in the orchard...)

Thanks for any tips or suggestions :)

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Delilah.
Re your apple trees.

Over here in the UK with our temperate climate our traditional varieties would not be any good for you.
I would suggest that you go for the fruit that does so well in South Africa and Southern New Zealand.

Obviously Granny Smith.
Pink Lady.
Braeburn
Golden Delicious.

If you contact the various countries Hort. Research Stations on the web they should be able to suggest more modern varieties as well.

Jona.

momo
Cool Member

Do you have any idea how many chilling hours you have? That is how many hours during the year the temp is below 7C/45F degrees?

Here are some low chill apples, they will require 100 to 400 chilling hours per year:
Adina, Ein Shemer, Granny Smith (my source says that this is an Australian favorite,) Mollie's Delicious, Pettingill, Tropical Beauty, Winter Permain.

Are there any existing apple trees around your house? You want to ensure that your tree will be pollinated so if there aren't any apples around you might want to plant two different varieties.

Return to “Apple Topics”