sckermit
Newly Registered

Limiting the height of an apple tree

:?: Is is possible to limit the height of a standard-size apple tree with pruning? If so, how can I do this, I've heard that "topping" a tree will kill it.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Won't kill apples; standard practice in the industry actually (a darn sight easier to pick) Here's the most complete overview of a fairly complex process I have found; probably more than you wanted but if you have an apple pruning question, it's in here...

[url]https://www.eap.mcgill.ca/CPTFP_7.htm[/url]

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I agree, I don't think that topping a tree will kill it. Though, if you have a standard size apple tree, it will be healthier and produce more and better fruit if you leave it at a standard size.

Obviously you can play a bit with the height and shape of the tree a bit with your pruning. To make it easier to reach the apples on the tree, prune out any cross branches that occur.

Recently one of my Grandmother's 100 year old apple trees fell over and we topped it and pruned out most of the branches, it produced a plethora of apples this past year and is doing fine.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I've seen apple trees and other fruit trees trained to grow no taller than the height of a wire fence, with the branches taught to grow along the fence in a row of two, or maybe three. Wonderful way to always be able to reach your fruit, but nobody has ever explained how long the trees survive when pruned and trained to grow in this manner.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have seen bonsai'd apple a hundred years old (not much fruit) :wink:

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Grey, that is the way many apple producers grow their trees now - more produce per acre - and I know that I have seen several of the orchards up here done that way for many years.
Also, it has also been standard practice to prune an apple tree to look much like an umbrella. It is pruned to just a few feet above as high as your hand can reach from standing on the ground, and then forced (by pruning) to grow in a flat, outwards direction. They are kept tightly pruned this way, as the less put into branches, the more flowers - then apples! This is the way I prune our six apple trees, two pears, one plum and one cherry.

Opa - your grandmother's old apple tree falling over is probably the best thing that ever happened to it. Often if a tree is not blooming or producing, once given a hard pruning, it redeems itself the next year with a bounty of apples! This actually works for any tree or shrub.

Too bad getting nipped off every once in a while didn't work to rejuvenate us! :lol:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Actually, what happened was that the roots had started to rot out a bit and during a wind storm it blew over. After a heavy pruning, it has come back quite nicely.

Anyway, the point being is that a tree can have a heavy pruning and do just fine. But, that if a tree is of standard size and you prune it to be of dwarf or semi-dwarf size, it will not do so well. (or at least, as well.)
Last edited by opabinia51 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

True. :D

Scott

sckermit
Newly Registered

Wow, thanks for all of the great ideas! :D
It's good to know that I can safely limit the height of my apple trees - especially since me on a ladder is definitely not safe.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I hear you. Me too. Good luck! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm with you Sckermit, good luck with your pruning and have fun!

Incidentally, if you take off any large pieces of applewood, it is prime stuff for wood carvers. You may be able to sell it.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

It's also THE prime wood for people who smoke fish. Something about how cool it burns. Nothing goes wasted if you think about it! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I generally use a combination of Apple and Hickory when smoking fish or poultry.

Return to “Apple Topics”