applestar
Mod

First Fruit Thinning of my Enterprise Apple Tree

Decided to thin the apples today. It's funny but the apple tree won't release a fruit no matter how redundant I think it is or how much I pull/twist/push/pull UNLESS it's ready to abort it. So it was a good way to thin out the apple clusters naturally. I also cut off any with the telltale blemish of Plum Curculio. I came across 4 or 5 the buggers too! So I think I maybe too late for Surround, but will spray individual clusters (instead of the entire tree) tomorrow (there was a chance of rain today -- didn't happen though :roll:). I also pulled off any leftover dead flower petals since they looked like an invitation for fungal infection.

Of course I got better at telling which immature apple will come off as I went along and had to go back and re-do the whole tree. There were some oddly curled leaves that contained caterpillars or aphid colony which of course I put in the handy plastic grocery bag I was using for all debris, and I picked off any Cedar Apple Rust spotted leaves -- not many yet.

All this individual leaf and fruit inspection gave me some good ideas about what needs to be pruned when the time comes. There was a limb with fruits that were too high, but I managed to bend it down with a rope and a piece of old garden hose (there was one handy, removed from another tree), so that'll get trained. I think I'll do the same for a couple of other branches too.

So tomorrow, spray with Surround and also apply a layer of compost. :-()

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

With the dreaded fire blight season approaching you could start those milk sprays you were talking about any time now... helps with scab as well...but I bet the Surround helps a lot with that as well, huh?

HG

applestar
Mod

You know, HG, your response gave me an :idea:) -- I added the milk to the Surround solution. The clay provides the sticking agent for the milk... or the milk provides the sticking agent for the clay. Perfect!

Sprayed Enterprise yesterday morning while the dew was still wet -- after picking off another pint of bad apples, so it's none too soon. 'f course I think I sprayed too much -- when it's wet, it doesn't look like anything's going on -- and I'd read that you should spray heavily once then lightly second time. First coat sort of beads and drips off, resulting in spotty coverage. I think it's all the "peach" fuzz.

An hour later, practically the whole tree was WHITE !! :shock: :lol: ... even though I only aimed for the fruit clusters, there were good amount on the foliage too. Oh well. I seriously worried that I put too much on....

Then it rained this morning :x :roll: A quick 15 min. shower, and now it's drizzling. Murphy's Law. :hehe:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

How does the kaolin hold up to rain?

HG

applestar
Mod

Sorry for the delayed response -- I wanted to wait and see how it looked after last night's thunderstorm/downpour: Now that things have dried, I'm pleasantly surprised to report that the tree is still covered/coated for the most part. I'd say about 90% are looking the way they REALLY should -- thin coating of white all over -- correcting any over application I may have made. :wink: About 20% are still heavily coated. :oops: Coverage of the uppermost foliage and fruit are looking sparse as may be expected after the beating rain.

Yesterday, after the 15 minute shower and approx 1/2 hr ~ 1 hr drizzle, things looked pretty much the same or just slightly less coverage.

Now, I'm hoping the clay is holding the milk to the foliage and helping with its benefits. 8)

Another thing -- after seeing how WELL it covers, I'm a bit hesitant to spray the 3 European plum trees I have, especially the 2 that I really can't get a good angle to spray without a lot of it getting into the neighbor's yard. Maybe I'll ask if I can spray FROM their yard, but I have the feeling if I did that, my patio and teak furniture on it would be coated WHITE!

Honestly, it's a good thing my fence is already white. :lol:

The other one would get my shed and the compost pile, then the neighbor's White pine trees that I keep hacking the branches down because they planted a row of them too close to the fence and now are shading EVERYTHING! (But that also means I won't be able to spray the other side of the plum tree)

Hmm... :?

BTW -- I want to take off the plastic trunk protector that I used during the winter, do you think I could spray the trunk with Surround? Would that help with the sun? Also, for trees in unfenced areas, do you need to keep protecting the trunk from nibbling/gnawing damage by rabbit (and groundHOG) with hardware cloth during the warmer months?
Last edited by applestar on Fri May 15, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No need to worry about that; in fact it is likely the other way around...

Bacteria are sticky little buggers; they make their own glue from excreted sugars (that they get from soil and plants) and calcium (which they get from the soil for building their little shells when they encyst). Soap is really about loosening the glue rather than killing the germ (which is why we say HOT water when washing). But you know how you wake in the morning after the big party and your mouth is really sticky? You are not the only organism that has been partying all night long, know what I mean? Bacteria are plenty gluey...

:shock: :lol:

I'm going to brush again...

HG

Return to “Apple Topics”