dim

Apple Tree - Does Neighbouring Tree Affect Growth?

Goodmorning fellows!
We'll plant an apple tree at the yard and I wonder if the neighbour trees of the apple tree play part in its growth. (How the trees neighbouring affects the growth?)
Basically, there are two choices. The first is to plant the apple tree near to the citrus (oranges, lemons) and the other choice to plant it near to peach tree,
dim :wink:

dim

Any comment please ? Has anybody plant apple tree ?

applestar
Mod

When you say neighboring tree, just how close are they going to be? Remember that roots will grow many feet beyond the drip line.

This is not from experience (I've planted apple and peach trees in my garden though not near each other and I'm too far north to grow citrus, though I've planted a trifoliate orange in another location) but at a glance, citrus trees have more specialized needs (higher acid and iron, I think) So a peach tree seems to me to be a more compatible neighbor for an apple tree. :wink:

Oh, it just occurred to me -- the reason I planted the peach away from the apple is that the apple tree is cold-hardy and it went in the Northeast part of the garden whereas the peach tree needed a bit more protected area and is on the Southwest side of the house. You might have similar micro-climate considerations for the apple -- e.g. plant where the apple is more likely to get extra period of chill time. :D

dim

THANK YOU for you answer, applestar! :wink:
When you say neighboring tree, just how close are they going to be?
Basically, I don't know how much is a acceptaple distance, really how much it is?
at a glance, citrus trees have more specialized needs (higher acid and iron, I think) So a peach tree seems to me to be a more compatible neighbor for an apple tree.
I thought beause apple and citrus trees give crop at the winter so it will acceptable to be also near.
the reason I planted the peach away from the apple is that the apple tree is cold-hardy and it went in the Northeast part of the garden whereas the peach tree needed a bit more protected area and is on the Southwest side of the house. You might have similar micro-climate considerations for the apple
Basically, the climate here-Greece is temperate (not too much cold or warm). And both north and south sides are the same...
Another, consideration would if I plant the apple tree near to trees with similar "enemies" (incects ect.)
:D

applestar
Mod

I don't have too much time right now, so this will be a quick answer. 8)

Planting distance: Depends on root stock your apple is grafted on.
Try here: https://www.brogdale.org/chooserootstock.html
I thought beause apple and citrus trees give crop at the winter so it will acceptable to be also near.
LOL :lol: That would be convenient for YOU, I'm sure. But you have to think from the tree's point of view and what IT needs. :wink:

I didn't realize you're in Greece, but you are mistaken if you think North and South sides of your house, garden, whatever are the same. :shock: Look up "microclimate". Even whether the tree stands alone in a field of grass/vegetation, surrounded by hard (flagstones, concrete, etc.) surface, or a bare mulched (light colored or dark colored) circle makes a difference. The slope of the land. Wind-break in the form of other trees/shrubs/building. A nearby heat/light reflecting structure/wall. They all make a difference in the immediate environment of the tree. :mrgreen:

Finally, it's generally considered a good idea to separate crops that suffer from same predatory insects and plant a different crop in between them to confuse the buggers. My personal preference is to use no chemicals and invite beneficial wildlife -- birds and insects -- to come dine on the harmful insects. :wink: Look in Organic Gardening, Permaculture, and Wildlife Gardening forums for discussions about this topic. Look in Permaculture for "apple guild". 8)

dim

Quite usefull, information applestar. Thanks again one more time! ;)
(time for decoding the "compact" info now...)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nicely said, AS...

HG

dim

Nicely said, AS...

HG
Sorry, I don't get it ...?

applestar
Mod

Oh, I think that was a compliment for me! :cool:
Thank you HG! :D