Duuuvall
Newly Registered

Zone 9a, which months to fertilize?

Hello,
Newbie here. I planted a red naval orange tree this past mid April. Other than dealing with Orange Dog catapillers my tree looks very healthy and is putting on growth with many marble sized oranges. I'm located in zone 9a and have two questions.
1. Which months should I fertilize?
2. Should the first season oranges be removed prior to maturing? I've watched a few videos that recommend this in order for the trees root system to become well developed prior to the first harvest.

Thank you.

imafan26
Mod

You can get information on local growing conditions usually from the extension service in your state. Zone 9a is a N. Florida zone but I could only find this edu publication on citrus which may answer your question. South florida would be zone 10 or 11 (Miami) and will have less chance of snow.

https://www.south-florida-plant-guide.c ... -tree.html

I am in zone 12a, so I can grow citrus trees, but I am in a higher elevation 586 ft which is not the best for oranges. I grow mostly limes, lemons, and I can grow Satsuma tangerines which tolerate colder conditions. Oranges in my zone prefer the hotter lower elevations for better quality (sweeter fruit).

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”