applestar
Mod

Applestar’s Citrus Collection

...Don’t get me wrong, I’m not particularly knowledgeable about citruses. I just can’t seem to help sticking the seeds from fruits I eat in mostly any pot with a bit of potting mix in it to see if they would grow. :>

I was going to claim that “I just manage not to kill them.” ...but a purchased grafted Meyer Lemon tree did die on me. :?

I’ve expanded my “collection” over the years... but I wasn’t very diligent about keeping track so I don’t know what most of them are. Sometimes you can tell by the fragrance of the leaves or other chacteristics. One lemon has bloomed... once before... don’t know which one it was any more... :roll:

One year, I was gifted a bunch of freshly cut Thai Kaffir lime branches, so I tried rooting them and were successful with a few. A friend from Florida sent me a Key Lime when I lamented that I could not find any fresh Key Lime fruits to harvest seeds for growing. I’ve started some Meyer Lemons to replace the dead one.

Here are some of my most recent citrus projects :D

Subject: Applestar’s 2018 Garden
applestar wrote:Update on the Key Limes. I accidentally left them in the garage intending to uppot them, and then got side tracked — they were not happy. (turned yellowish)

...one of my coffee seedlings is next to it, waiting its turn to be uppotted.

Subject: Applestar's 2017 Garden
Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:28 am
applestar wrote:Image Newest babies to join my expanding citrus family collection -- a friend sent me a fully ripe key lime fruit from her tree when I mentioned wanting to try growing from seeds and lamented that I couldn't find any in the stores and the produce guy said maybe in the summer time.

After keeping the fruit -intact- in refrigerated storage, I extracted and sowed the precious seeds on March 8th in two different conditions for insurance. I usually tell people it takes about 4 weeks or a month... these were right on the money Image

This Key Lime is looking happier — greened Up a bit and growing lots of new shoots :D
(Key Lime on the left, Meyer Lemon on the right)
- the little one next to the Key Lime is one of the last to root Kaffir Lime cuttings. This one was very slow and I thought I’d lost it more than once.

Here’ is my latest acquisition — a Fortunella (Kumquat) ‘Meiwa’ in the tiny Black Nursery pot in the foreground, supported in a cache pot which will NOT be its permanent pot.

- it just arrived last week. The supplier took advantage of the lull in the weather and shipped it early with perfect timing. It’s been sitting here in the somewhat dimmer, quiet location to settle in. Now it’s ready to be uppotted. :-()
- FYI, the mayonnaise jar is being used as ant bait/killer by sprinkling borax in the last of the mayo stuck to the insides of the emptied jar. Since we’ve had the early thaw, ants have been flooded out and making their way inside, finding the citruses ideal pasture for their scale insects.
- the large clay pot behind it contains 3 trees grown from W. Murcott Afourer Mandarin seeds. I’ll take a better overall photo after they go outside for the summer.

I’ll post photos of these and other ones by and by. Some of them are in my “Bonsai Wannabe” subgroup. Some of them are hopefully going to flower and fruit some day. :wink:

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”