imafan26
Mod

Re: Fast Growing Orange Tree Varieties?

As an update to my post, it is better not to move a citrus after all. You might have problems growing citrus in Texas. Huanglongbing, citrus greening disease has already spread to Texas and now has gone all the way to California. Infested trees will die. Trees should not be transported or scions taken from trees that are not certified disease free. Certified trees are housed in greenhouses to prevent them from being infested with the disease causing psyllids. There is no cure for the disease and the psyllids are hard to control without impacting beneficial insects as well. Imidacloprid is allowed on citrus, but it is systemic and can only be used certain times of the year.

https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74155.html

erins327

Well I ended up making it to a Citrus tree sale at my local Garden Masters chapter and got a blood orange. Wasn't my first choice, but my husband couldnt resist. :)

I still have my three little seedlings I started from a mandarin tree last year. They actually grew about twice as tall given this new Spring weather. If they work, great! If they end up don't, well it cost about .50 in dirt!

This winter was brutal in Houston, but I was able to save my lime tree! I went out and bought those old school Christmas lights that run super hot, wrapped it up and then covered the lime tree with two huge wool blankets. You could stick your hand in there and I swear it was 20 degrees warmer. And it is currently thanking me with about a dozen limes coming in.

imafan26
Mod

I like blood oranges, but have not tried growing them. The easiest orange for me to grow and fairly common are the Washington Navel Oranges.

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”