cooledwhip

Are these citrus plants blood oranges?

I have heard that when growing citrus some of the seeds you start from aren't actually the fruit? IDK, either way I have a whole ton of blood orange seeds and some lemon seeds that I germinated and planted. They are sprouting and I wanted to know when I should move them to a bigger pot, how I should do it, what type of pot etc. Here are the pictures of the sprouts. On the left is the blood orange, on the right is the lemons.

I'll upload the pictures later. I just don't know which would be best for planting or if any of them are. I don't have space for like 40 plants.

cooledwhip

Here is the pictures of my plants. Left is Blood orange right is lemon
Attachments
IMG_3411.JPG

imafan26
Mod

You can move them up to invididual pots once they have true leaves. Citrus can cross, but even if they don't fruit quality can be different tree to tree. It may take 5 years to find out. Most citrus is grafted to get a dependable fruit earlier.

cooledwhip

Thank you very much. I see one of the seeds is polyembryonic. I will plant that one in a pot. Also, what do you mean by true leaves? Are there any free online guides I can look at to find out the steps? I need an answer more clear than yours.

applestar
Mod

When seeds germinate, the first green leaves you see are called seed leaves or cotyldons. They were the fleshy part of the seeds. Next leaves which are the first leaves that actually grow are called "true" leaves because they often resemble the actual leaves the plants will grow for the rest of their lives, though sometimes the shape and characteristic of the later leaves will change.

Most plants that grow from seeds will grow in this way -- some notably different ones are plants in the onion family, grasses including corn, avocado....

I grow citruses from seeds all the time for fun, not necessarily intending.expecting to harvest fruits from them some day. I won't give growing/care recommendations because I neglect them and probably have not grown them to their best ability. But they are not difficult to keep alive. (I can give advice along those lines including overwintering indoors where winters are too cold :wink: )

They are able to grow in relatively small pots for a few years -- I recommend containers that are at least 5-6" deep. One way to accomplish this without too much space is to recycle soda bottles or milk/juice containers with holes punched or drilled in the bottom and sides along the base like the ones you have -- at least 4" wide/diameter per plant. Use very well draining mix -- I add sand and pumice or DE gravel, finely shredded bark mulch (fine bark orchid growing medium works, too) to premium organic potting mix.

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”