ladyvanessa
Newly Registered

Should I Pick Oranges, Throw Away then Start Over?

I am moving into a new home the first of the year. The new house has three orange trees that are all very full of oranges that have not been picked and are not fit for consumption at this point. I have never had a fruit tree and was wondering if I should remove all of the oranges and toss them out. I know it may sound like a crazy question :) I would appreciate any tips you could give on taking good care of my new orange trees so next year I will have some tasty oranges. Thanks a ton!!

Vanessa :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I will recommend not using synthetic fertilizers of any kind because they will destroy any soil structure that has been built up around the tree and will not replace nutrients taken up by the tree. Also, the tree will have no control over how many nutrients it takes up.

Anyway, you asked about removing the organges:

I would remove them and place them in a pile with some leaves or shredded black and white newspaper and turn them regularly. Orange rinds are very high in micronutrients that the tree has mined from deep in the soil and substratum.

In the Late spring you will have lovely soil to spread around your tree that will aid in it's growth. And hopefull GREY will be around to offer you some advice, she has a lot of experience with citrus trees.

Good Luck and welcome to the HG!

ladyvanessa
Newly Registered

Thanks so much. I am sure that will make a wonderful compost. Have a great day!

Vanessa :)

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”