sue_v
Newly Registered

Orange tree - seedling growing fast - what next?

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (25.05 KiB) Viewed 11004 times
While I found several posts/pages on how to grow a seedling, I'm not able to find much information on the tree 'toddler' stage. I saw another post which mentioned as long as it's summer it's best to put the seedling outside, which answers one of my questions - but presumably once the weather turns chillier I bring it back indoors? Or do I just leave it outside and protect it from frost somehow?

Also, at what point should I start trying to train it to grow straight, is that something to even worry about at this point? (It's about five/six months old, about a foot long.) Thanks for any advice, or pointer to a website, etc I may have missed.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

When websites say to bring it in during the winter that does not apply to Southern California. You can grow it outside year round. If it is going to get colder than frost because the tree is so little you should probably throw some frost cloth over it. If you want a straight "tree" you should start staking it and slowly start tying it up.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And if you are not going to plant it in the ground, it needs to be in a much bigger pot.

imafan26
Mod

Realize also that as a seedling it will take a few years to fruit and you don't know what you will get.

sue_v
Newly Registered

Appreciate all for the advice - think I'll put it in a bigger pot, because I don't see planting it for another year or so until we work out landscaping plans. Good to know about the frost cloth - and that it's time to start training it to grow straight. Thanks again!

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”