kinagami
Newly Registered

HLB infected orange tree what next?

So one of my citrus tree was marked for quarantine and I think sprayed for HLB by the Agricultural people a while back. What next? I didn't really notice the tag for it until recently and they never gave any instructions on what to do. I do have other citrus trees in the garden as well and no signs of it spreading yet.

imafan26
Mod

I don't know what the state requirements are once they mark the tree. You could probably call and ask them what you can do to protect your other trees.

It may be too late for some of your other trees as well. The Asian citrus psyllid carries the bacteria for life and if you inspect your other trees they may already be there.

There is no cure for citrus greening and the tree is doomed.

If the plant inspectors marked your tree you should have had a notice like the one below with a contact number.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/ ... -01-10.pdf

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

All the trees in the nurseries have the little quarantine tag. I am assuming it means that it was quarantined and it doesnt have it because if it did they would not sell it and it would be a huge problem.

imafan26
Mod

When we have agricultural quarantines here, it usuallly means that the plant cannot be transported outside of the quarantine zone, but not necessarily that it is already infected. When an infected tree is found and reported to the state then there are procedures for removing the tree.

How it worked for bunchy top was a quarantine banning movement of plants from one area to another. This by the way did not work too well. When a banana was identified with bunchy top in a private yard the state sent people over to spray, dig out the entire clump and dispose of the plant material. If bunchy top was on a commercial farm, the state required the farmer to follow certain procedures to get rid of the trees. Only trees with symptoms were removed and sometimes the trees next to them even if they showed no symptoms, but they were not required to eliminate their entire patch.

I don't actually know why the trees at the nursery would be tagged for quarantine but still be allowed to be sold? Does the tag say anything on it?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

All citrus tree here in california have the tag because it is a major problem here. We produce most of the citrus crop and if it gets spread it would be hugely detrimental. If the trees have been quarantined (which they have) and they are selling it you know that it does NOT have it.

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”