newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Dry & Curled Leaves on Dwarf Navel Orange in Container

Hello--

I bought a dwarf navel orange tree, which for the time being needs to stay in a container, as I don't have my own property to plant it in the soil. I try to keep it watered, but the leaves are looking very dry and curled on the edges ... what looks like insufficient watering to me. Any tips on how to care for this tree that might be useful? Thanks in advance!

applestar
Mod

A photo would help, and conditions you are keeping it in.

Summary of care I give my citruses: Indoors until weather stabilizes to 40~45º or above. Coolest, brightest location possible with supplemental light. Well drained soil on the acid side. Provide humidity -- I mist every morning until dripping and keep them clustered (group of about 15 pots). Don't water until surface is dry. I water with dechlorinated water, occasionally adding used coffee grounds and black strap molasses.

Anything jump out as different from what you are doing?

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

applestar wrote:Anything jump out as different from what you are doing?
LOL. Um, yeah.

Right now it's in a pot, and is getting full sun, but no additional misting or pot clustering. I suppose I should update my location information. I'm no longer living in MN, I'm now in LA. Temperatures, therefore are what you indicated, but air moisture levels aren't. I just bought it, so I haven't done any fertilizing--just trying to keep it watered. I'm house sitting at the moment, so I don't have pictures right this second. City water out here is abominable, and I do hate to use it on any plant, much less an edible variety, but until I am able to have some kind of rain barrel situation, this is what I have to work with. I've been giving it water from the hose.

Being that it's getting full sun, would you recommend moving it into either part shade or just not so many hours of full sun?

applestar
Mod

So it's outside?

If you just bought it, it's possible that it's not used to quite so much sun and need to be acclimated (maybe just as much as you do after moving from MN :lol:) -- I.e. they might be getting sunburned. Also, it depends on if it's a young seedling or a grafted mature tree (ready to fruit?) One way you might be able to tell is if the leaves are rippled like seersucker or thick and smooth. (Thick and smooth is a young seedling)

IME, seedlings can take a lot more shade.

If it's in the pot you bought it in, could it be pot bound? (roots growing out from the drain holes?) In full sun and pot bound, most plants/trees would need to be watered twice a day. And you should uppot it as soon as possible before it gets much hotter.

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

LOL.

I'll check those things out. I'm not sure I can say right off. The plant was covered with blossoms and is still blossoming slightly, after the first round fell off. I'm not sure I can say about the leaves right now. If they are sunburned, what can be done? Just wait 'til next year and new leaves? (Do they drop their leaves?)

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”