inoo

Basics for Growing an Orange Tree

Hello viewers recently I have being thinking about growing orange tree from seed as I don't have much space I will keep it shaped but I need some basic information about orange trees and how to plant them I live in Sydney its quite hot here so about the questions ill need to know things of the following:

1.How big pot has to be.

2.How many times does it need water.

3.How long it will take from seed to see oranges.

4.How big root will grow if I keep it little.

5.etc

Please do reply as I will need a lot of help along the way.

applestar
Mod

Inoo, not to put you off, but you are asking a lot of questions that I personally have already answered several times in the past. We appear to have common interest in growing fruit trees from seed. :D

I was just doing a "Search the Forum" and thought that it might actually work better to suggest you do the search because several threads came up and I couldn't decide which link to post. :lol:

I used "Citrus true from seed" for search parameters. link for the search function is in the link bar at the top of the page. :wink:

Algida

Hi,
An old post, but still, it might help others.
If patient and lucky enough :D , then you might see fruits in 7-8 years, and they might not be at all the same size and quality as the original fruit. What you can do is grafting the tree when 3-4 yr old.
As for the pot, I'd start with something like Image
If too big, a pot would retain water and citrus doesn't like it.
However, when replacing pots, leave the soil around the roots and add some around it, as you want to keep the symbiotic bacteria that help the tree in getting the necessary nutrients from soil.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum! :) growing oranges is very fun and rewarding. I grew over 10 citrus trees from seed. Some are already producing fruit, while others are still a couple inches tall.

Anyway, if you want to grow the orange tree in the pot, you will need several pots for its growing journey. The first pot, the smallest pot (normally less than a galon) is for the seed to be planted in. Once the roots fill up that pot, take a slightly larger one and wait until the roots completely fill that pot, then a new pot...and so forth... When the tree is matured, the biggest pot you will need is probably about 25 gallons.

The amount of times you will have to water it depends on how big the tree is. Generaly, water the tree daily, until the tree matures. After that, water once every few days or even once a week.

If you use fertilizer on the tree, you will begin to see oranges growing in about 5 years. So, I'd say from 3-8 years.

Very rarely does the root size change just because you prune the tree itself. The best way to keep the roots of the tree small is by (what I wrote above) changing pots once the roots fully spread throughout the pot. The difference between the pots should be very little (just a couple inches).

Best of luck on your tree! :) and have fun!

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”