glennchung
Newly Registered

How Big do Orange Trees Grow? Roots Damage Home Foundation?

Hi

I just bought a house and there's a 5-ft orange tree planted 1 feet away from the side wall of the house (instead of the backyard). I have a couple questions:

1. Will its root be a problem to the structure of the house?
2. How big will the tree grow and how far will its root stretch to? Aside from being right next to the side wall, it's also right next to the drive way. I don't know why the previous owner planted it there. Soil area is only 2 feet deep between the side wall and the drive way. I am concern its root damaging the drive way concrete and its branches in the way of the car.

Many thanks!

gc

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are right to be concerned. I don't know why some one would plant an orange tree in a space like that either. Unless it is a dwarf variety, orange trees get anywhere from 12 -30 feet high and any where from 12 to 20 feet wide with a proportionate wide spreading root system.

Pippin Limbertwig

Maybe they were thinking espalier? if it worked it could be really pretty in the right spot.

Glennchung is right - they are prone to be spread their branches wide. In general roots are as wide below the ground as the drip-line is above the ground.

I don't remember any of our citrus having the sort of surface roots that would bust concrete - but that's too close to the house for a tree. You don't want it hanging over the driveway or rubbing on the house. A little spot like that doesn't give a tree good anchorage - it will be prone to blow over.

If the tree is not very old you might transplant it this winter. Being that close to the house it's likely to not get good air movement and get fungus-y.

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”