IndorBonsai

Dwarf Washington Navel Orange care?

I ordered 3 Dwarf Washington Navel Orange trees, only supposed to get to 3 foot tall. I was wondering what kind of care I should give these trees.

Should I treat them like my Bonsai ( put them in bonsai soil ?, bigger pots of course) What size pot do you think would be good for a 3 foot tall tree? These trees will live outside most of the time.

Any ideas for care of these trees will be appreciated, also what do I need to do to help these trees make fruit?

IndorBonsai

Do you think this type of soil will be good for these Orange Trees?
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15040

I just mixed it up today.

IndorBonsai

Finally I found a bit of useful information about orange tree care.
This link is the most useful information I have found so far.
https://www.essortment.com/all/orangetreeora_rnbe.htm

This is what I was looking for,
Do not plant (orange) trees in alkaline soil, as they will not be able to survive.

Also this part,
You must make sure the tree is in a sunny area, in soil that does not retain water.

So the soil I mixed up today should be fine.

LOL seems this is a one person show. I answer my own questions and share what I find :)

Any more information about orange tree care will still be very appreciated.

rredmon
Newly Registered

The leaves on my Washington Dwarf are falling off like it's going out of style. I bought the tree in early December. I placed it in potting soil and a 1 foot diameter pot (temporary). The pot doesn't have it's own drain. I added citrus fertilizer according to the label. I can't place it next to a window due to winter drafts. It's in a reasonably sunny room and I bought a grow light that I turn on/off perhaps a a little haphazardly. However the tree has thrived for ~6 weeks, producing new leaves and flowering. I tend to water ~ 3 cups of water per week; whatever makes sense. The temperature fluctuates maybe 58 (night) to 75 (daytime). Quite suddenly, this past month, the leaves have been dropping rapidly; 1 per day sometimes more.

Any ideas?

Return to “Orange Tree Growing Topics”