Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Grape good to zone 6.

If plants are good to zone 6 what does that mean? I am in zone 7.

Is zone 6 max cold winter or max hot summer.?

I am getting 30 vitis vinifera.

applestar
Mod

USDA ZONE designation is usually with reference to winter cold temperatures. So “good to zone 6” means it can survive zone 6 winters.

Sometimes they push it and the plant actually requires protection like extra heavy mulch or winter wrap. This also doesn’t account for abnormal extreme weather. It’s usually safer to get plants rated for one zone colder.

Sometimes USDA zone is indicated as range like Zone 5-9, for plants such as fruit trees etc. — this usually means they also NEED a certain amount of cold dormant period.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:30 am
USDA ZONE designation is usually with reference to winter cold temperatures. So “good to zone 6” means it can survive zone 6 winters.

Sometimes they push it and the plant actually requires protection like extra heavy mulch or winter wrap. This also doesn’t account for abnormal extreme weather. It’s usually safer to get plants rated for one zone colder.

Sometimes USDA zone is indicated as range like Zone 5-9, for plants such as fruit trees etc. — this usually means they also NEED a certain amount of cold dormant period.
Thanks applestar.

Now I learn from someone on the wine forum, seeds from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes will not grow true cabernet sauvignon grapes. The only way to get true Cab grapes is from cuttings. I might plant seeds anyway. I wonder if it takes 1 or 2 years to get grapes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Ok so zone 6 is north of us. TV weather says, we are zone 7, east of us higher elevation is zone 7b.

I have about 3 gallons of saved grape seeds, I wonder if grape seeds will germinate and grow grape vines if I sprinkle seeds along a 60 ft chain link fence? I wonder of rodents will eat grape seeds? Do, mice, rats, squirrels, possums, rabbits, eat seeds?

Maybe I should do a test and sprinkle 100 grape seeds in a flower pot just to see if the germinate? Maybe seeds need to experience cold freezing weather before they will germinate?

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”