Covington
Newly Registered

Do I need to prune more?

History on this:

Year 1 [2019]: Planted, didn't know what I was doing.
Year 2 [2020]: I did nothing, and considered it dead, lol.
Year 3 [2021]: I did nothing, it got little tiny grapes so small they looked like pea gravel (but lots of them). I was excited, but still didn't know what to do.
Year 4 [2022]: I still did no pruning as I didn't know that was a thing. I put little fruit protection bags on the grape clusters because I thought that maybe birds got to them before they got big in 2021. They got a bit larger, but maybe marble size tops.

Year 5 [2023]: I read a bit about pruning and realized that because I did no pruning I probably caused the problems above with the small grapes. I pruned this year and the video below shows what I currently have.

My question now is..... did I prune enough? I cut some vines out, cut back the shoots to the 2nd node. However, are there still too many vines to produce large grapes?

Video of the vine from one side to the other side. I'll come back and post a full view.
https://imgur.com/a/26hNfwd

Please help! I'm planning on growing more now that I'm a bit excited about it and somewhat know the process, but I really want mature grapes this year from this vine if possible.

imafan26
Mod

Did you fertilize. You not only have to prune at the right time, you have to fertilize as well.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We have several wineries in the area (Southeast Nebraska) and they all prune in early March. From the looks of the vines afterward I would be afraid to cut everything back so much. Not sure what their fertilization program is, but I would bet it takes a a bunch of it.

Covington
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:52 pm
Did you fertilize. You not only have to prune at the right time, you have to fertilize as well.
I did put some fertilizer in, but not very much at all as I don't know what I'm doing :)

Covington
Newly Registered

PaulF wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:28 pm
We have several wineries in the area (Southeast Nebraska) and they all prune in early March. From the looks of the vines afterward I would be afraid to cut everything back so much. Not sure what their fertilization program is, but I would bet it takes a a bunch of it.
I'm a little confused... are you saying I should not prune any more?

imafan26
Mod

Yes, that is what we are saying. Don't prune anymore. You have espaliered the main vines and that is the main thing, but I don't see any spurs or budwood. If you stress the vines too much, cut off all of the food sources, it might not make it. Grapes don't need a lot of fertilizer, but all plants need some especially after they are pruned and before bud break. Too much fertilizer will cause vegetative growth, but not enough and you have cut off all the food sources will only distress the plant more.

https://www.arborday.org/trees/fruit/care-grape.cfm
https://extensionpublications.unl.edu/a ... /g2279.htm

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”