iskhan
Cool Member

Grapes vine issue

Hi Experts

I've tried approximately a dozen times to grow grapes vine but everytime my vines died due to issue shown in the following images.
Grapes.jpg
Grapes 1.jpg
Kindly guide me to rectify the issue.
Thanks
ISKHAN

applestar
Mod

One more photo with good focus on a representative leaf both upper and lower view would help, but I want to say that looks like
- disease — maybe powdery or downy mildew
- tiny sucking insects like mites (or I’ll venture to say thrips though I’m not familiar with their damage)

...and the vulnerability to pests and diseases might be due to root damage — possibly due to potting medium not being well draining? What did you use to plant in? The planter looks too small for mature grape vine, but for now ... how many drainage holes does it have? If the holes are on the bottom, do you have the planter raised up on feet/blocks?

— it would help to prune the vine to a single vine, cutting off all side shoots. If you plan on turning it into a bonsai like your other fruit trees, think about where you want the main scaffold - side shoots to grow first, but typically grapes are grown as single vine.trunk up to the first trellis wire which should be high enough for the grape trusses to hang down without touching the ground at the very least.

For now, try pruning off the side shoots and then spraying the remaining leaves and trunk vine with 1:1 mixture of milk and filtered or rain water, mixed with a bit of yogurt whey (clear liquid). Do this when the sun is not shining on it in late afternoon or evening, or on cloudy day.

JONA
Greener Thumb

A useful spray for Mildew control is ordinary Baking Soda. ( sodium bicarbonate ).
It gives good control as a preventative ...not so effective if the infection has really got control.
Like virtually all sprays for fungal diseases, they need to be applied before spore release.
As the spores fall on to the plant they land on the layer of applied chemical which stops them from germinating.
Anything applied after the spores have germinated has a greater chance of failure.
So protection rather than correction is the better way.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”