mr jones15
Newly Registered

Temporary trellis

I bought a concord grape plant couple weeks ago and I'm still getting the garden prepared so I don't have anywhere for it grow at the moment. First time gardener and I'm trying to build a nice raised bed and garden with tall fence because deer and it's taking a lot longer than I thought it would. I'm wondering am I able to use a potato cage or something portable until I can get it to it's new permanent home and unwind it from the tomato cage or whatever? Also I only have one plant it said its self fertile but will produce a lot more if it has another, will I still get a good amount of grapes or should I get another plant?

applestar
Mod

Since this is grape, I would use a stout stake as the upright to tie onto since ultimately, you will want a kind of a trunk that you will train the grave vine main vine into. A straight fence fence panel (with two fence posts supporting it) might work to support this year’s growth. You are going to prune for next year anyway.

Grave vines don’t “unwind” easily so go with a stronger support that you can keep with the vine when you have to move it.

imafan26
Mod

I would think a grape would need a sturdy trellis.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”