Travellar

Got a wild one...

Last year we cut a thick (and I mean THICK 3-4") wild grape vine that was choking one of the mulberry trees on our property. I assumed that was the end of it, and the short amount of stump that we left would shrivel up and die.

Yesterday evening, my wife assured me that we have new shoots coming from the old vine. The question this raises for me is: Is this wild grape vine worth cultivating, caring for, and eating from; or am I better off trying to be rid of it to save the Mulberry tree instead?

I assume I could erect some kind of trellis, and train the vines away from the tree. Whether or not it's worth the effort I don't know.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The grapes from it will never be edible for you, but birds like them. It is a good trap crop for Japanese beetles, which prefer it over anything else. But only worth saving for that, if you can keep it contained. They are (as you are starting to discover) very difficult to eradicate.

applestar
Mod

It might depend on where you are located? And where exactly this grapevine might have come from.

I let one grow just off the patio, thinking it was a wild grape, then thinking a southern grape (scuppernong) that would be at north end of growing zone here, but have finally decided it might be growing from a red globe table grape seed that had been spat out during a family bbq. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's not for sure, because there is a lot of variation, but in general the wild grape leaves are rounder:

the domestic grape leaves are more lobed:

Travellar

So, what I'm hearing is eradication? I can do that. Since it is just one individual plant, I can do that easily.

Given it's location well away from the house or any other "people hang out" types of places, I can be quite confident this is not a table grape seed that got loose.

applestar
Mod

I have one that is growing up a plum and crabapple tree —

This is my ambitious project and fate in store for that particular vine:

Bonsai for Everyone Wild Grapes
誰にでも出来る盆栽 野ぶどう編

Example

Wild Grape - detail - “Bonsai Idiot’s Hobby”
野ブドウ - 詳細表示 - 盆バカひこさんの盆栽道楽
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fwnt1093/fold ... l?m=lc&p=1

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”