Danh40
Newly Registered

Grapes splitting and dying

I have been trying to grow Concord seedless grapes in Buffalo NY for a couple years. I think I have figured out how to prune them and last year was diligent throughout the growing season to prune back the canes so that more energy went into the fruit. It seemed to pay off as I had a number of nice looking clusters of grapes. However, as the season went on, around the end of August, I noticed the grapes splitting and then rotting. Needless to say, I got very few edible grapes.

I have uploaded a picture of what a cluster of grapes looks like that had this problem. Is this caused by lack of the correct nutrients or from some kind of pest? How can I avoid this happening this year?

Thanks,

Dan
Attachments
Bad Grapes.JPG

MoonShadows

Like tomatoes, grape splitting can be caused by too much water. Heavy rainfalls can cause splitting, as can improper irrigation. If you have a really dry period and then you over water, that can lead to splitting. Grape skins that crack open may also be caused by diseases such as powdery mildew, or pests like the grape berry moth.

Danh40
Newly Registered

How how do I know if the grapes are getting too much water?

What should I use if I have powdery mildew or grape berry moth?

Thanks,

Dan

JONA
Greener Thumb

Simple organic spray to help keep mildew at bay is common bicarbonate of soda....baking powder.
Just a weak solution in spray form.

MoonShadows

I didn't know that @JONA. That's a good tip. I imagine it can be used on other plants as well?

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”