SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Reliance Seedles Grape Purchase Help needed.

Did you ever just have one of those days
Let me explain...
I found an area in my yard that would be great for grapes, so after a bit of research about trellising, pruning, varieties and such, I decided to order the reliance as a plant and not a bare root from Stark Bros. Anyhow, Their site must be down and I can't get on the site, Ok let me search, hmmm.... American Meadows has some but I will never order from them again.

OK Burpee has them but 1 plant at $12.99 says, "We're sorry this plant 19976 is done shipping for the season", but they have 2 bare roots for $29.99, this makes no sense.

So I figured I would try Gurneys, but gurney's says, "Out of season, this item ships in the fall"
Henryfields and Double A Vineyards says "Ships in spring"
I found a place I never heard of called The nurseries at TY TY that has them 3yr - Bearing Size [$11.75] and says, "Shipping Time:: In Stock for Pre-Ordering Now For Winter Planting, Est Ship 1-22-18"

HERE IS THEIR LINK
I'm a bit leery ordering from them but my question is;
When the hell are these supposed to be planted, spring, winter, fall?? Should I order expecting shipment in spring?
I am in zone 7A

JONA
Greener Thumb

Grapes are like all deciduous plants. You can plant them any time in the dormant season. So Fall...winter..early spring...all fine.
Whenever it’s convenient for you.
If your expecting a very cold or very wet winter it can pay to plant in the spring so that your new plant is not sitting in cold, wet soil for too long before it starts into new growth. Just a matter of choice.

applestar
Mod

Things I like to consider when buying live plants is how long they would be in the shipping containers (over-weekend shipping could mean critical few more days in the package — some Sources specifically avoid sending near end of week) and what the interim climate/shipment/storage conditions might be like — keeping in mind that the plants are supposed to be dormant, for instance, or what their minimum and maximum temp tolerance might be as dormant or leafed out live plants such as tropicals.

I’m cheap and don’t want to pay extra shipping costs so I try to pick sources close to my geographical location with least number of shipping days, and avoid usda zones that are too far removed in case of incongruous dormant vs. planting conditions, but WILL pick further north or further south depending on local weather conditions at time of shipping, and if have to choose non-optimum shipping source/conditions for rare/difficult to obtain plant(s) will consider paying for express shipping.

Note that depending on priority, express, etc. status, package may be kept/stored at designated temperature.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Finally got through to Stark Bros and will be ordering from them, They ship Feb 22nd and my concern is planting too soon.

I decided to go with bare root after reading this.

Plant bare root grapevines as soon as soil can be worked
Plant potted grapevines after threat of frost has passed
Chill Hours: 100 hours below 45F

I'm now looking into a cable trellis to mount on my concrete wall here, this was going to be for my Maypops
After I get my thoughts together and come up with a plan I'll post another thread to get some input.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That tiny trellis will quickly be overwhelmed by grape vine. They need more room to spread out.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:That tiny trellis will quickly be overwhelmed by grape vine. They need more room to spread out.
That trellis is for my maypops that will go on the other side.
I'm going to use drop in anchors, bolts and cable to run about 36" high and 66" high laterally about 4" from the wall, I may go a third level up, if I do it will be 30" 60" and 90", I'll start another thread when I get my thoughts together.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”