kaoden
Newly Registered

Green grape disease?

My home came with a mature grape vine on a pergola. It bears well, but every year the green grapes turn muddy purple, from the bottom up, before ripe. I’m not actually sure what kind of grapes these are, but it appears to be a disease and not a proper ripening process (the grapes almost never turn completely purple, for example, just a very clearly defined layer of purple).

The grapes also fall before tender.

I once made a tart jam out of these grapes but have not since because I have been frustrated by the disease. Honestly the only measure I’ve taken is to spread compost.

It’s entirely possible that the only «issue» is my lack of grape knowledge. Any advice very welcome.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Kaoden,
Not too sure about your problem. But a suggestion that may give you some help if it is indeed a fungal problem.
Next spring give your vine some protection with a fortnightly spray.
As a suggestion....and to keep the sprays organic....use either Bordeaux mixture. ( copper sulphate) or a weak solution of bicarbonate of soda.
Both these will give a fair protection against mildew which is the most problematic fungal infection on vines.

I should add here that there are several virus problems that can affect vines some which cause fruit distortions..and these have no cure.
However ....worth trying the disease angle first, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”