ButterflyGarden

New to Growing Grapes

I am trying to grow grapes for the first time. I started with a small transplant and when it went well added a second larger transplant. The second one is not doing well and I don't know why. I watered them every day since it is hot here but my neighbor thinks it might be too much water. They look dry to me. Any ideas?
Attachments
20170607_173304.jpg
20170607_173255.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi BG.
I think some of the problem is that such a large plant is finding it hard to adapt to its new position in the heat.
Water uptake through the roots is not matching the water loss through the leaves...so you lose leaf area.
Persevere ...grapes are tough..they'd should pull through in the end.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi BG.
I think some of the problem is that such a large plant is finding it hard to adapt to its new position in the heat.
Water uptake through the roots is not matching the water loss through the leaves...so you lose leaf area.
Persevere ...grapes are tough..they should pull through in the end.
Keep the soil damp and remove badly damaged leaves to avoid a source for mildew and phytophthora to take a hold.

ButterflyGarden

Should grapes be watered daily?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Once the vine is established there should be no need to water daily. Too much surface watering encourages the plant to only produce surface roots instead of seeking deeper sources. Then when hot, dry weather comes it can rapidly come under water stress.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”