smokejumper
Newly Registered

Table Grapes - Leaves Curling & Brown

My table grapes are showing a couple of problems you might be able to help me with. First, the leaves appear to be curling to form almost a cup. This occurs with the youngest and smallest of the leaves. I'm not sure what's causing it but it doesn't look normal. The second problem is the browning of leaves. It almost appears to be like over fertilization or not enough water. It appeared with one plant but appears to have spread to the next plant in line, and the next, and the next.

Got any ideas? I'd sure like to save my grape vines. Thanks in advance.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Welcome!

This is only a guess. Has anyone sprayed herbicide locally? Have you had troubles with any of the tiny villains? Scale, mites, white fly? Its OK to use a magnifying glass to check.

OK thats it, my Kreskin turban is overheating now. ;)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Does it look like these?

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/43972 ... artslide=0

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-6105

Even just a tiny amount of drift can cause this kind of growth and reaction in ALL kinds of plants! So like if your neighbor sprayed the fence line, or if you put compost or mulch from treated plants fields, or composted manure from animals grazed on treated fodder, this can happen.

Sometimes plants recover, sometimes they don't.

Can you post some pictures?

smokejumper
Newly Registered

Thanks, Lindsay for the information. The problem demonstrated looks exactly like the "cupping" I'm seeing in my vines. Additionally, there has been herbicide spraying near my grapes with a glypho... based spray. Hate to admit it but I did it myself. Now I can add "Grape Killer" to my list of titles I don't want. Do you know of any corrective action I can take to bring my vines back?

Any ideas about the leaf browning I mentioned? This may be carryover from the spraying but it doesn't look the same. I inspected closely all the leaves I could reach and didn't see any pests. As well, I have a scheduled spraying of bug killer every couple of months. On alternate months I spray for disease with a liquid copper solution.

Again, thanks for the information. Knowing is the first steps towards rectification.

Smokejumper

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Smokejumper, if you could post a picture and tell us where you're from, we could likely help you better.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

There's not really much you can do. Remove the distorted growth, and see if it grows back normally. It may, or it may not.

I had 3 out of 4 tomatoes recover. 1 continued to grow distorted. None of the 4 did very well after the exposure, but I did get fruit off of 3 of them. How big are these vines? Years old? Months old? I'm thinking maybe if you just give them a pruning, you may get normal regrowth.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”