Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Who's growing seedless grapes, and what's your favorite?

We've decided we will try our hand at seedless grapes next year!

We garden organically. Neem is the toughest thing I'll spray, so we need cultivars that are TOUGH! Ones that can withstand this fog like, pea soup consistency humidity. Disease and pest resistance would be nice if they don't compromise flavor.

Cause who wants a crappy gross grape....

But I don't want to work my butt off to get a few either (like peaches! If I get ANY!)

We prefer red grapes with a Big Crunch!

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Lindsay,
We grow a Californian Ruby Red Seedless.
Because we have a much poorer climate this side of the pond, we grow them in a large glasshouse......our summers just not long enough to grow them outside.
They crop very heavily...grow very strongly ..and make huge bunches that taste delicious.
Growing under glass we are susceptible to mildew, but applications of Sodium Bicarbonate ( Baking powder), at one or two tablespoon per gallon of water seems to keep it well under control.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Seedless grape are less hardy. I won't grow them after having entire arbors wiped out in NH.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Kids don't like seeds. I don't like seeds. Too much effort digging them out. No point in growing them if we can't (won't cause we're too cool for school! ;) ) eat them. Seeded grapes are just unpleasant to me. (Wah!)

Trying to stay away from jams, jellies and all other sweet things that are delicious and useful for seeded grapes. (Ugggggggggggh...)

I DO really like frozen grapes, and I have no problem freezing extras!(should we be so lucky!) but not if they're seeded.

Ckm351
Newly Registered

Hi,
I just saw your post. Clemson University has a home garden information center online. I live in upstate SC , and they recommend several varieties of bunch grape for our area.
Varieties suggested for the mountains and Piedmont include: 'Aurora,' 'Chancellor,' 'Vidal ' and 'Villard Blanc' for white wine; 'Baco Noir' and 'Foch' for red wine; ' Interlaken,' 'Mars,' 'Reliance' and 'Saturn' for fresh eating; 'Concord, ' 'Delaware' and 'Catawba' for both fresh consumption and wine production.

Also I found a ton of info at double A vineyards website . I know that your original post was last year but hopefully this will help some

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Thank you!

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”