lyndapaz
Newly Registered

Can I plant rooted Concord grape cuttings in the Fall?

I managed to root some cuttings from a grape vine that had been passed down for generations in my family. In early Summer, I found the vine severed from the trunk of my Mom's plant (probably the day after the lawn guys cut it). The canes rooted in water and I have had them in pots in full sun all summer. They seem to being doing quite well. The leaves are beginning to dry. Everything I have read says that cuttings should be planted in the early Spring. Can I plant them now? Should I wait for Spring? If so, do I bring them in the house through the winter, or leave them in a shed outside, somewhat protected but with little light? I live near Philadelphia, where the winters are usually not too severe (lots of 20-30 degree days, but sometimes can have cold spells below 0.
I would appreciate any advice you can give. I can still remember my grandfather tending his vines, and the wonderful jelly and wine they produced.

Roger

Hi! I think it would be best to wait for early spring to plant your new vines - especially if there is a good chance of extended temperatures below freezing in the winter in your climate. The biggest risk to your newly rooted cuttings will be the cold this first year, as the roots are still very tender and young. Even if you do everything else just right, you may loose the new vines during the first winter, so if you have several cuttings, you have a better chance of at least one surviving.

I think the best course of action would be to leave them alone until they go completely dormant as winter approaches, and then move the pots into your outside shed. I don't think it would be wise to bring them indoors, the warmth of the house will cause problems to their normal winter cycle [unless you have a cold basement, which would be a good place to store them as well.] You might want to put a little mulch or sawdust or straw in the pots, to help conserve moisture in the pot. They will need to be watered occasionally being inside a building, but only a very tiny amount, and not that frequently. When they are still dormant in early spring, they should be ready for planting outside in their chosen location, as soon as the ground thaws out and the danger of deep freezes has past.

Good luck with your vines! And remember to have patience - it may be several years before they bear fruit.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”