bkop1996
Newly Registered

Grapes Turning Black And Falling Off

I spoke with a friend today who has been having problems with his concord grapes. he says the grapes do well, until about the time they should ripen. Then they begin to turn black, not necessarily black spots, but more he said it was as if they were turning black from the inside And all over. Then they shrivel up and fall off.

There are hardly any fruits left to ripen, and for the last couple years his crop has been miniscule :cry:

He said the leaves are fine. Dark dreen and free of spots. As well as the branches. Other than the fruits, the plant seems to be healthy.

I think it might be fungal, I'm thinking black rot, but if anyone else has any idea as to what grape man has. And what he should do. Let me know. Any advice would help.

Cheers!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Concord grapes are very susceptible to the blight that wiped out the grapes in Europe. This happened again along the west coast about 6-9 years ago. It started out just like that and then one year the plants themselves just died in about a 72 hour span starting in California and working all the way up to British Columbia. If he isn't totally attached to Concord grapes the best advice is remove them and start over with one of the newer blight resistant strains. Sorry, unless Ohio extension has found a cure that works in the Midwest or a grape expert can look at it and see if it is something else there really isn't a good solution to the problem

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”