iskhan
Cool Member

Grapes Plant Die After Reaching 6ft in Height

Hi

I am trying several time to grow small black grapes but every time when plant reach to 6ft all leaves are turning black or shrinks and then die.
What is the problem and how I can resolve it.
Thanks

applestar
Mod

Tell us more about how you are growing them. What kind of soil and sun exposure? Is this a grape cultivar that is adapted to your area?

Also more details of their decline -- do the leaves get spotted? Do you see any insect pests? What are first indications that it is starting to die? Do they die around the same time of the year -- could it be a seasonal effect? As well as the leaves, do the vines dry up and become brittle?

imafan26
Mod

If your planting it in the same spot try a different location. When plants keep dying in the same place, that tells you that they really don't like it there. Try planting the vine in a large container and custom mix the soil for the grapes.

But as apple said it helps to know where you are and what other factors may be relevant.

iskhan
Cool Member

I try to grow it in different location full sunny, half sunny, full shaded. I grow them from seeds.
There is no insect or dots on leaves the whole leaf turning black from corners to center then the branches.

imafan26
Mod

If it is turning black first it sounds fungal. Do you use a bordeaux spray? Most times they need to be sprayed preventively.
It does have precautions. It can be staining and if overused can be toxic to earthworms, but it lasts much longer and will last through rain better than other fungicides. It is approved organic.

The grapes should be in full sun and grown on a trellis. You can espalier the grapes so they don't get so thick and that will allow for better air circulation. You will also get more grapes in a compact space.

Choosing the right variety for your area matters too.

My grandmother had a grapevine at her house for many years. They were really sour but she used to make wine with them.

https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7481.html
https://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/prod ... x-c451.htm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Hm, I at least am way-way out of my depth. "Karachi (Pakistan)" is zone 13. it is possible that there are air & water purity problems in an urban areas. it is also possible that in (USDA) zone 13 there just is not enough cool season for winter dormancy needs. have you tried bordeaux treatments?

Iskan are your grape seedlings dead or did they just shed their leaves?

iskhan
Cool Member

I never try bordeaux spray. My grape plant after reaching 10ft dead. Now I am afraid to grow it again.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

iskhan, I could very well be Grape Canker, if so there are plants or a planted area usually close by where older vines are infected and act as a host to the fungus, they can be searched out and cleaned up. If you split open the dead vine you will be find a local canker from where spread. The plant was infected at a wound site. On an older vine the vine above the canker dies on a yearling there is no reserve and the whole vine dies.
There are bacterial infections that can attack grape but it should show up on other plants also.
There is Grape Rot that will turn the vine and leaves black , the vine will be distorted or twisted, if so everyone in the area will know of the problem, it will start out with brown spot on the leave top the center turnes lighter there will be dark pin points around the edge.
Split the vine if you still have it and let us know if you find the Canker. As Salamu 'alayka

Richard

imafan26
Mod

I think he said the vines were grown from seed and not vegetatively propagated. Would canker still be a problem?

Cold hardiness may make a difference in producing fruit, but it doesn't sound like the vines every got old enough.

Even in Hawaii, we can grow grapes, they are just not table grapes, when you live in a warm climate fungal and bacterial disease and pests are the biggies since there really isn't much of an off season. Nematodes can kill a plant fairly easily in a few months if they are not resistant.

But Applestar does have a point, it would probably be best to find out who else grows grapes successfully there and get the same cultivar. If Iskhan is planting seeds from store bought grapes, they may not be able to survive locally.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings iskhan, It will help If you have a picture for us. Tell us something about the area you live in, is it very wet,,dry, damp at night so that moisture drips from the leaves. When the leaves turn black, are they marbled, not one solid color.
Are there other plants growing there that do well? Is the earth always wet? I have read that in Islamabad they can grow grapes but have a problem with prolonged wet weather. If this is your case you may get better results planting in a raised box, in which you can control the dampness of the soil. We look forward to hearing from you. There is a site: Gardening Pakistan you might check with, but keep it touch with us on this.

https://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... =31&t=3801

imafan, Canker can effect the cane at an earley age, he may be in an area that has an endemic disease, in that case his neighbors, everyone in that local knows it.

Richard

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”