sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Grapes question... how long do they take to ripen?

I have three small bunches of grapes on my vine. They haven't grown any in a few weeks, but they haven't started to ripen either. How long does the process take?

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

2 months or more. :lol: :) Well, that's for CA, so I'm just estimating.
Last edited by Rose bloom on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Once the grapes get as big as they will get they get ripe in 1 to 2 weeks. You need full sun for grape to ripen. Sun all day with lots of clouds is not full sun. A yard full of trees is not full sun. If your house shades the plants that is not full sun. The commercial grape growers like 14 hours of full sun. When I lived in TN I could only get full sun from 9:30 am to 6 pm because of trees and we often had scattered clouds, my grapes seldom got ripe. Grape get ripe June to August depending on your geographical location. My AZ grapes were ripe in June and my wine making friend in TN his grapes were ripe in July. My grandmothers grapes in Illinois were ripe in August. Your growing season determines when the grapes get ripe. Water and soil determine the grape size. Hot weather and full sun determines if they get ripe.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

they're in 100% full sun all day long, from early morning, to late evening

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:they're in 100% full sun all day long, from early morning, to late evening
I think I need to reword what I say. I should have said, DIRECT SUN LIGHT instead of full sun. If the sun comes up at 6 am and goes down at 9 pm that is 15 hours of sun light. If I hold an umbrella over your plants all day they get NO direct sun light. Many fruits need 10 hours or more of direct sun light. If you have 8 hours of clouds your plants get 7 hours of direct sun. If trees shade your plants for 6 hours plants get 8 hours of direct sunlight. If you have combination of clouds, shade trees, etc. your plants may get only 5 hours of direct sun light all day.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

My stuff doesn't get touched by birds for some odd reason. they don't touch my blueberry or my raspberries either! weird. I know!

I know I planted a green grape and a purple, but I can't recall which varieties!

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”