Meme
Cool Member

How Best to Support Grape Vine as it Grows?

I wonder please could someone give me suggestions on how best to support my grape vine as it grows. I bought it in June, it is doing very well. I have added the stick supports while it was growing, all going good. Now it is branching out I will need to train it around my greenhouse.
Please excuse the washing in the background of the photo. :oops: :lol:

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Meme, Your place looks nice. Will your vines be inside the greenhouse?

Richard

Meme
Cool Member

Thank you Richard.
Yes I feel it is for the best to have the vine in the greenhouse, as I reckon it would not survive when the cold weather hits in the Autumn and Winter. It is in a good sized container, legroom as such for it. :D

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi, Up in the mountains we have ours in the greenhouse, the greenhouse is standard 2" X 4" construction so I can attach the vine to the structure. Where that isn't possible, two or more posts or rods can be driven or buried in the earth, cross supports can be added to form tees or sticking out to one side to form number 7.
If the posts can't be driven in to the ground because of concrete a footing can be added as you would support a Christmas tree, with gussets where needed. These uprights can be connected top and bottom, for more support if needed. Your support wires can be strung to the cross supports for the vine or vines to be strung.

Here at the lower ranch it gets to -2 or -3 F about -20 C , and the grapes, Thomson, come to life every spring, and I don't cover them with mulch in the winter any more. I keep the the vines in the greenhouse in the mountains because of the deep snow pack.

We grow ours vines for the leaves, but welcome bunches of grapes.

I hope what I've written is understandable.

Richard

Meme
Cool Member

Thank you Richard.

Very understandable indeed, and great advice. The footing would be ideal, as I do have the concrete as the base.

When you mentioned you grow your vines for the leaves, that took an interest in me. I then just looked up about it. I never knew before the leaves were a source to be eaten, and of their rich content of vitamins and minerals.

Thank you for your time. I have certainly learned something new.

Meme

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not under the impression that Lancaster has very cold winters. Cold tolerance varies widely between varieties, but many varieties are hardy to US Zones 6 or 7 (I.e. at least 0 deg F or -17 deg C). Some varieties that have been bred for hardiness are hardy down to - 30 deg F (-34 C). I'm here in zone 6 (average minimum -10 deg F, but not unusual for it to get lower) and we have grapevines that have withstood everything for decades.

I'm not thinking your grapevines need to be inside the greenhouse. But you would need to check on your variety. American grapes tend to be more cold hardy. Many European grape varieties are adapted to Mediterranean climates.

Meme
Cool Member

Thank you rainbowgardener.

The grape vine is 'Vinifera' (Vitis). I am all new to growing, and totally enjoying it all as well.
Just like anyone who needs to learn a lot, as I surely am, and want to.

I have taken note of what you have said, and came across reading the vine can be grown outside, in a sunny spot. Seems these grapes are very hardy as well.

I suppose I just got it into my mind grapes need to be grown in greenhouses. Due to the heat in there.

UK winters can be bad with cold and snow, strong winds as well. Although last winter it was really mild in my area of the North.

With this in mind then, if say I got it planted between some shrubs in my garden, protected there sort of thing, in the sunny area, it should do well. It certainly is another option to consider.

Thank you for your time, and thoughts.

Meme

Kageri

I'm in zone 5, was the edge of zone 4, and we never did anything for grapevines. The first house the grapevine had been growing there longer than I've been alive. Not sure how old this one is at the new house but it's growing along a 10' unmovable frame. We see -30 to -40F(same in C) for a few days to weeks each winter and -10 to -20F regularly.

Meme
Cool Member

This is really inspiring too, as sure then my grape vine will do brilliantly outside. And of course that will also give me more room in my greenhouse to grow other things. :D

Thank you Kageri this has also very much helped me in mind.

Meme

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi Meme, RE: Grape leaves, wifey and girls making and Armenian dish, you can see the derev [grape leaves] in the pot.

Dinner from the garden, we prefer the leaves to be aged in a brine before filling, adding the filling and rolling, after being cooked, we will add lemon juice and/or Madzoon [yogurt] to taste.
Attachments
sarma 2.JPG
sarma 2.JPG (34.78 KiB) Viewed 11414 times
sarma 1.JPG
sarma 1.JPG (34.19 KiB) Viewed 11414 times

Meme
Cool Member

Hello Richard.

So lovely your wife and girls all preparing it together there. Reminds me of the lovely times I spent with my Grandma when she was preparing fruit to turn into Jam years ago. Lovely to think back over, as sure for your girls in times to come. :D

Mmm, it certainly sounds delicious, and of course full of goodness as well.

Thank you for sharing these photo's, and how to use the grape leaves.

Meme

valley
Greener Thumb

Thankyou for your appreciation, they, wifey and the girls, spoil me.

It's been fun talking with you, we'll talk again. Bless you.

Richard

Meme
Cool Member

Thank you Richard.

Enjoy your weekend, and being spoiled. :D

Bless you too.

Meme

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”