davidschweer

Grape Trellis Ideas????

I planted kyoho(big japanese thick skin grape) last year. I live in the Japanese alps and get about a meter of snow in the winter. Right now I have made a makeshift trellis from branches I have cut. Does anyone have any trellis ideas that are cheap or free?
Or even pictures of your own trellis even if its not cheap to give me ideas would be nice too!
Thanks a bunch!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A kniflen two wire trellis is probably the most common type of grape trellis. It is two wires strung on four inch posts, with end bracing.

The first summer you could probably cheat with a simple upright stake to tie your leader to. But the rest of the wire and posts will still have to be built.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Bamboo is really strong and can be tied together. You can buy 10 - 7 foot pieces for less than $10

davidschweer

Bobberman...thats a great idea....we have a huge bamboo grove on our property!! The only problem is bamboo rots or becomes very brittle in rain and snow after a few years! Maybe I can seal it and that will help a little! Great idea....you have me thinking!!

imafan26
Mod

Bamboo is usually sealed by soaking it in resin. Bamboo poles lashed together is strong and will last a little while, but if the grape vines are going to be there awhile, 4x4 redwood or cedar posts are better.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Another thing that is cheap and last is the plastic pipe or tubbing. In lowes here a 10 foot piece cost about $2.50. Its easy to work with and cut holes in! It last for ever and you can paint it The 1-1/2 or 1-1/4 should work great. I use it for tomato poles and it does not warp. Conduit is another one you can paint! They also have tee to join them together.

Teddy12b

Do you have access to any free pallets? Do you have any place near you that would be happy to give them away?

I got some huge pallets from where I work last year and all I did was bury some 4" x 4" x 8' posts into the ground and nail the pallets to it to make a semi framed looking shelter. My original intent was to use it as a kiwi trellis, but I think grapes are going to be more realistic.

davidschweer

I was really feeling the bamboo idea because of the abundance I have here but knowing they are going to break down in about 5 years no matter if soaked or not is a turn off! But seeings how I am moving from my house in another year I am going to go for the price of free 99.
The pipes sounds extremely easy to work with and the pallet idea is genius too! Might use the pipe idea at my next place!
Did you seal the pallets or just throw them up as is?
I will post some pics in the next month or so of my homemade bamboo trellis!
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Teddy12b

When I used the pallets, I just tossed tem up and nailed them into the post. Pics in this thread.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=55079

Naytcher Boi
Newly Registered

I think that you should use wood. I'm not really sure for the japan alps, but wooden planks and plastic net seem to work good for me, and usually don't cost too much.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

If you are moving in a year why are you planting a grape vine? You will not get fruit off it for usually a couple years. If you wanted to take it with you you could actually plant it in a large container for a year, though it will not grow a whole ton.

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

ReptileAddiction wrote:If you are moving in a year why are you planting a grape vine?
I plant fruit trees and grapes everywhere I stay, no matter how nomadic my life, because it is good and proper to plant food bearing plants that will outlive me and provide generations of abundance to people and wildlife. I'm still eating from semi-feral fruit trees that were planted before I was born.

Teddy12b

JosephsGarden wrote:
ReptileAddiction wrote:If you are moving in a year why are you planting a grape vine?
I plant fruit trees and grapes everywhere I stay, no matter how nomadic my life, because it is good and proper to plant food bearing plants that will outlive me and provide generations of abundance to people and wildlife. I'm still eating from semi-feral fruit trees that were planted before I was born.

I have to admit that I was wondering the same thing "Why plant if you're going to be gone in a year". Your answer and reasoning is awesome and makes me rethink about how I see things. Thank you for doing what you're doing.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”