evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Catawba Grape - How Long Can Last in Plastic Planting Bags?

I took some cuttings from a friend this year and was pleasantly surprised when they grew so easily :) I did unfortunately kill 2 of them because the rain couldn't get to them but that's ok since 2 made it and I don't really have space. The one has done particularly well and the other, while small, is healthy.

In the mean time I'd like to know how long I can keep them in bags and how to feed them.

Maybe I should photograph the fruit on the parent vine to get you guys to confirm that it is a Catawba for me. lol

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Do you mean in bags with paper towel that you rooted them in? If so you want to transplant them into a container with soil when the roots are about 1 inch long.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So you are planning to grow grapevines in containers?

Select a container that holds between 15 to 20 gallons of potting mix. In the field, grapevines typically have roots that extend 8 or 10 feet out, so the bigger the pot, the better. Grapevines' growth is based largely on the size of their root system. In pots, the root systems are smaller, which means the plants and harvests are smaller, as well. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/sizing-con ... 61358.html

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

If you are planning on growing them in pots they will need a lot more water than you would expect. I grew one in a container for quite a few years.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Lol, by bags I meant plastic planting bags, like pots but cheaper and easier for transplanting. I just rooted them in soil.

I want to keep them in the bags for a while but the bags are fairly small. I can up-pot a bit, but 75 litres is not going to happen. I don't really want them to produce but I might not be able to plant them for another 18 months. They kind of grew faster than expected. My lemons are still tiny! I was expecting the same time frame. lol

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

We need more information like pictures. Once the roots start to get root bound or come out the bottom of the pot is when you should transplant, preferably before it gets to that.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

That's what I mean. How long until it needs to go into the ground? I defintley don't want to plant this in a container unless I have to.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

That definitely looks like it is root bound. I would transplant it to a larger pot if you are not yet ready to put it in the ground.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

In a few months? Do they really grow that quickly? I can get some bigger bags I suppose but then it will be about a year before I can plant it out. Also, is autumn a good time to do that anyway?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

They do grow very fast. One of my grape vines grew 18 feet last summer... I would recommend giving it a bigger bag or a black nursery pot. Autumn is fine if it doesnt get cold where you are. You want to wait though till is is completely dormant. If it does get cold by you then wait till early spring. Goodluck! :)

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”