Smallgardener

How to Make Grapes Plump Up & Get Juicy & Sweet?

I have watched videos on you tube on how to prune grapes early in the spring. I got that down.
I have grapes set on no problem and form clusters. But my problem is getting them to plump up and get juicy and sweet. Bot vines are a table grape. Can't tell you what the variety is right now. I thought maybe last year I left too many clusters on the vine and it could not handle it. This year I have only 4 or 5 clusters in each vine and they are still small bitter and have seeds in a seedless variety.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Smallgardener wrote:---><8 snip 8><---- This year I have only 4 or 5 clusters in each vine and they are still small bitter and have seeds in a seedless variety.
Enough sun and water should get you past the bitter part. A seeded cultivar means either there was a mix up on the grape you got, or, you are growing the rootstock and the scion has died.

Sorry.

Smallgardener

So you are saying that grapes are grafted onto a root? And my grafted planted has either been cut off or died?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, or you didn't get what you thought you did. Growing conditions can change the size, sweetness, etc of the grapes, but I don't think anything you do can make a seedless cultivar grow seeds.

Smallgardener

I am guessing I probably trimmed off the scion that speak of. I did not realize that they were grafted on to a root. So if I saw a very nice big runner coming up I probably selected it and now I have seeded sour green grapes. These are about 3 year old. It is easy to get them going so I will either get more grape plants next spring or give it up and add a veggie or two.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”