Great_Zanzzini
Newly Registered

Grapevine Leaves Curling & Scrunched Up

Hello all. I was outside watering this morning and saw that on one of my grapevines the leaves weren't looking so good. I have no idea what type of grape it is, they were here when I bought the house. Anyone have any ideas what could be going in here?!?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 13490 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 13490 times

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, I would hope this if from a sucking insect. Have you looked at the underside hunting for worms or egg?

It may be Eutypa Dieback. Is there damage to the cane as well as the leaves? The infection would have happened a couple years back. I can't see the size of the vine, If there is clearly healthy leaf and cane I would prune the vine back to healthy cane and burn/get rid of the pruned bits. Look at it real good or take it a near by College if you are in an ag area. I'd prune it.

Wish I had better news.

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxHpxDpx9fs
Greetings, The above interactive it will show a video of infection and describe a canker. The symptom in not exact, this is one sign of Eutupa, it may help examine your vine. Vines many times can be cut back past the point of infection if a virus, mold or fungus has attached to a vine.
Look the leaves over good, we can't see much from the pictures, see if you can find that it's insect damage, still you would most likely want to cut back and in that case spray.

Good luck with the vine. Let us know what you found, how you handled it and the outcome. Thanks

Richard

Great_Zanzzini
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the info Richard. It really helps. From the looknofnthe video and a bit of research inlune it looks like a very good possibility. But I will look at the plant a little more in depth in the morning and keep you posted to the findings. Thanks again

valley
Greener Thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdWF7vW2wqs

You're very welcome. The above link is better showing a greater variety of symtoms.

Richard

Great_Zanzzini
Newly Registered

So I did skme more investigating and looked closely at the leaves. No sign of insect or anything for that matter. So I decided to cut off a branch that was not doing so well and sure enough there was a big canker. I followed it back until it reached the main trunk. So I cut another branch an sure enough same thing. Unfotunatley I ended up just digging the whole plant up being that no matter how far I cut down there was canker. Really explains why it wasn't thriving compared to the other one. Slightly disappointed to lose that plant but at the same time didn't want to jeopardize the other one. Thanks Richard for the info once again. Really helped diagnos the problem.

valley
Greener Thumb

Happy to have been some help.

Mom had 10 brothers, several had grape ranches in California, raisins were the cash crop, during prohibition brandy was the cash crop. {Got some stories from those times} They could look at a vine and tell you what it was thinking.

Have a great season.

Richard

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”