rusty
Newly Registered

My grape plant seems to be dying. Leaves Curling

Maybe you folks here can help? I was at home depot the other day, and on a whim I got a started grape plant. I brought it home, and put it in a large pot with a mixture of moisture control soil and seed starter.

The plant seems to be dying now, the leaves are curling or scrunching (however you want to say it).

I made sure there is good amount of water in the pot, and it seems to have decent drainage. It lives outside in the sun during the day, but it comes inside overnight because we are still having below freezing nights here.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Never tried grapes before.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Woody plants (and grape is one) can grow fine to field in dense soil. In pots however, loess and peat based soil holds too much water and becomes anoxic and drowns woody plants.

Grape needs to go directly to field and stay outdoors. its hearty to the weather outdoors and will dry and scorch with indoors too dry air.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Sorry to hijack do you think grapes can survive 4a?

rusty
Newly Registered

tomc wrote:Woody plants (and grape is one) can grow fine to field in dense soil. In pots however, loess and peat based soil holds too much water and becomes anoxic and drowns woody plants.

Grape needs to go directly to field and stay outdoors. its hearty to the weather outdoors and will dry and scorch with indoors too dry air.

Thanks for the reply. I am having second thoughts about my initial assumption that it's dying. I think it may be either going into a hibernative state or something along thsoe lines. I took some pictures, it seems to be just getting barky on the branches? I'm sure they can survive fine in this area, there are several vineyards around here.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”