Canton
Newly Registered

Old grapevine - Must have potential, but what to do?

Hi all - I've got a grapevine with a very strong/thick trunk (thicker around than my forearm) and it's clearly thriving, at least from the perspective of producing shoots. As a note, I live in central Maryland, the soil is (presumably) acidic and the vine's trunk is close to some pine trees (side note: this combination seems to work wonders with my 3 blueberry bushes, which produce prodigiously without the least effort on my part).

What I don't know is what type of grapes I've got, though if anyone can help in "grape identification" resources, I'm all ears.

Anyway, I would like to get this vine to produce grapes, but I don't know exactly what to do. I read an Iowa State University PDF file on growing grapes and it was great for anyone wishing to plant from scratch and to learn how to train grapes and create trellises, but not quite as good for someone trying to reclaim an old vine.

My questions:

1) Is it too late now to do pruning, training, etc.? It's chilly today in Maryland, but it will be back to upper 70s - low 80s soon. Also, the vine is producing quite a number of shoots and leaves already.

2) If it's not too late, what approach to take to produce fruit this year?

3) If it is too late, what approach to take to produce fruit next year?

If anything is too vague about this, let me know. I'm a neophyte gardener, but fascinated by all of it.

Thanks!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi canton :D

I am no expert on grape vines. My only experience is working on a vineyard and being asked to come back and help with the pruning later in the year. They pruned twice but theirs were espaliered (stretched out on a few stems either side) I suggest buying a book on grape pruning as I think it depends what you are trying to achieve.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

kita9880
Newly Registered

1) I wouldn't prune this late into the season, if it were me. I'd do it in late fall.

2) From what I've heard and read, grape vines store their sunlight in the branches...not the leaves (or something like that). They say that inorder to have a healthy grape vine that gives you ample fruit, you need to cut back all but 2 or 3 main branches at the end of the year. That somehow lets the vine hold in all the sunlight nurtients and will in turn, turn into fruit the subsquent year.

Also, they showed a picture explaining which branches to keep. There is 1 main verticle shoot/trunk out of the ground. Then, there will be 2 or 3 primary horizontal branches coming out of that. Those are teh 2 or 3 you keep, and cut back to perhaps 3' long.

Double check me with your local nursery, or anywhere before acting, because I have yet to ever prune a grape vine. But, here are some sources you may like:

https://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/grape_pruning_basics.htm

great step-by-step photos: https://www.honeyflowfarm.com/grapeproject/grapeproject.htm

Roger

I prefer to prune the vines in late winter. I usually wait for the coldest days in the few weeks around Feb 2nd to prune my vines. But that is me personally - we have a warm autumn and warm winter here, so I prefer to prune in deep winter, when the vine is dormant and a couple weeks away from budding.

Whenever you do prune, don't worry about the 'bleeding' from the stumps of the canes you trim - even if it is substantial, even if it lasts for a couple of days. It won't hurt the vine. It will 'scab' over within a week. If you prune in the dead of winter, it won't bleed.

It's disturbing to watch the vine bleed. It bothers me. :?

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”