Mamaw
Newly Registered

How to Grow Grapes from Seed

Hello, My granddaughter has an interest in growing a small batch of Grapes. I was wondering how do I start? What do they need to ripen and how to keep the wasps away and the birds.Please help me with information from the seeds on. Can I use the seeds from a grape? Sorry I don't have a clue and I need lots of help.

Thanks,
Mamaw
p.s. she wants seedless :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mamaw,

Grapes are not grown from seed. They are propagated asexually in order to retain the desired characteristics of the parent plant. It is probably too late to order by mail for this season. Call around to local garden centers and nurseries to see if they have any on hand. If you know anyone in your area who has any plants you can also try to grow your own.

Norm

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

You also need to decide on the type of trellising you are going to use. That is what style of training you are going to use and put of the trellises before you plant. The Correct spacing is at least 10' between plants. You will find very good articles on grape training at the Oregon Extension site among others. Grapes need support and it takes about 4 years on average to train them to the point where you begin to get a crop. As for starting grapes from others, it is too late for that this year and that will work only for certain varieties. Many need to be grafted onto blight resistant stock. As for on line Raintree and maybe Millers will still be shipping for a couple of weeks yet most years.

Delvi83

Purchase grafted plants.....you can choose Vitis lambrusca that is more resistant than Vitis vinifera and it doesn't need treatment :)

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”