desi1115

Grape Vines - Plant in Big Pots or in the Ground?

Just bought 3 grape vines. Should I directly plant them into the ground or get big pots for them. they are about 12-18'' tall. The came bareroot and are red seedless grapes. Alo any advice on growing them properly would be much appreciated since its my first time with them

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Desi...
I've got three Californian Red Seedless over here that we planted over ten years ago.
Because of our climate and the shorter length of the summer here we planted them under glass in an old prop-house.

I would recommend planting them straight away and gettin a good strong training system into place.
Ours have been very vigorous in their growth and have cropped very heavily year after year.
We prune them very close to the main structures and cut back to two buds on all side shoots very winter.
As ours are under glass we have found that they over- pollinate and dispite them being seedless we have to thin the bunches by hand to stop them getting too dense.
The buches are huge in size and we were assured that over there in the States two Kilo bunces are not uncommon.

Good luck as they are delicious eating.

desi1115

JONA878 wrote:Hi Desi...
I've got three Californian Red Seedless over here that we planted over ten years ago.
Because of our climate and the shorter length of the summer here we planted them under glass in an old prop-house.

I would recommend planting them straight away and gettin a good strong training system into place.
Ours have been very vigorous in their growth and have cropped very heavily year after year.
We prune them very close to the main structures and cut back to two buds on all side shoots very winter.
As ours are under glass we have found that they over- pollinate and dispite them being seedless we have to thin the bunches by hand to stop them getting too dense.
The buches are huge in size and we were assured that over there in the States two Kilo bunces are not uncommon.

Good luck as they are delicious eating.
Just planted mine in a nice sunny area. I read that a good amount of sun is needed for vines to produce fruits. How often should I be watering them? I planted them in some new soil with miracle grow so hoping that will help, don't wanna lose these guys I know that transplanting them can be traumatic for them.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

For the first year just make sure they don't dry out too much Desi....but grapes are tough customers and are used to growing in very dry soils. Just think of those vineyards on high slopes and in direct sunlight.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”