Royiah

How to Tell Between Male & Female Muscadine Grape Vines?

Ok so my dad asked me to try and find out how to tell a male from a female vine. He wants to pull one of the three he has becuase their too big and are over lapping.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Wait for the next season and see which one does not carry crop.

:?

Royiah

Little confused. They all produce grapes.

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello, If they all produce then they are self fertile. What is the color and size of the grapes. If they are large and gold then they are likley Fry If they are gold and small then they are likley Carlos. If they are purple and small then they are likley Dixie If they are purple and large then they are likley Jumbo. All Muscadine var. Hope this helps. :D

Royiah

Thanks that was very helpful!

critterfeeder
Newly Registered

The muscadines vines that I brought years ago to my Dad in south LA also grew to incredible dimensions, since he did not give them the annual prunings to manage them. Instead of killing/digging any of the entire plants, just do some Winter whacking away at any vine areas that are overgrown.....so the vines can start over with replacement vine growth each Spring. New grapes will form on the new growth each year. Many of my vines are planted only 10 feet apart and thus will "trespass" each year, so they get trimmed back to their 10 foot wide 'reset position' every Winter. Those mature root systems sure can grow an amazing amount of new vines each year following their 'haircuts'.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”