nes
Green Thumb

Where do I Trim Grapes?

We just moved into our new place and found this lovely surprise on the edge of the garden hiding behind some very long grass.

[img]https://designes.ca/images/other/IMG_2016.JPG[/img]

Where do I trim??

I was hoping to put some in anyway this year, so that was easy! :lol:

nosta

For some reason I can't seem the bottom 2/3 of the pic. Cuts off at about the top of the grapevine.

That is a great surprise. My dad planted 2 vine about 15 years ago and they are huge now.

nes
Green Thumb

It's my super-slow rural internet... if you re-load it should be uploaded properly now :)

nosta

ah...there it is. I'd pull that grass out and if possible replace or stand up those support posts. Is there any wire support runing from post to post? I don't want to give any advice on the trimming part as I have never done it. My dad always tended to his and since he passed away in Feb. I have been looking into caring for it. But, no first hand experience.

Have patience though. Some of the most knowledgable people on the planet hang out here. You be fixed up in no time.

nes
Green Thumb

thanks nosta :)

Yeah the grass is on it's way out but all I could manage yesterday between other chores was getting the old shears out to chop it down so we could see the vine :D. There is some wire support but it's very loose. I'd like to add some more vines on that side anyway so we'll probably end up stringing up some new stuff before the end of the summer.

I wanted to add probably 50% of the woody stem, if not more appears to be dead with just a little of the fresh green shooting coming up out of the ground.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="nes"]We just moved into our new place and found this lovely surprise on the edge of the garden hiding behind some very long grass.

[img]https://designes.ca/images/other/IMG_2016.JPG[/img]

Where do I trim??

Check the net for grape vine trimming videos. They need to be cut back pretty heavy from what I've gathered. Lucky you to have an older plant like that. Hope it turns out to be a good producer for you.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Gumbo.
I reckon that the first thing to do would be to get those support wires back in place.
Then tie in all the long vines that are there and cut off any of the weak ones.
By the end of summer you should be able then to sort out which are the best to leave and which others to remove completely.
The main root system seems to be ok as the vines show.

Vines are remarkable tough and very long lived....so good luck.

:?

nes
Green Thumb

Thanks guys! I'll get out the trimmers then :).

:lol: Thanks for the move mods! DUH grapes would be fruits not vegetables!

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”