MG Diane
Newly Registered

Concord Grapes Dropping Off Before Ripening

I would like to find out what causes Concord grapes to fall off the vine before they are ripe. They get lots of sun, this has not happened any other year. What could be wrong? :?

yellowgreenthumb
Newly Registered

Hi MG Diane,
Did you ever receive an answer on this? I'm new to growing grapes and am experiencing the exact same issue. Did anything work for you? Any advice you have would be great.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would think that the most likely cause is poor pollination.
If you had cold or wet weather dureing the blossom period of your grape then it may well be that the blossom was not viable and as a result ...fruitlet drop.

MG Diane
Newly Registered

I did get some answers elsewhere but not from the Helpful Gardener. I went to U.Mass Extension and they helped. There were several reasons that the grapes were dropping off. One was not enough sun, another too much rain, yet another was not proper drainage, or not the proper pH. So you'll have some homework to do to find out why your grapes are not doing well.

MG Diane

yellowgreenthumb
Newly Registered

Thanks Jona and Diane. It has been EXTREMELY rainy here over the last several weeks right so that makes perfect sense. I'm definitely doing some homework this weekend to see how I can bring them back to life. :D

Thanks again for your help

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”