wigglywart
Newly Registered

Is it Ok that Concord Grapes are Covered in Ants?

Hi everybody, my girlfriend and I stumbled onto your forum and we loved it so much we signed up!

Anyway I am very new to gardening and for concord grapes as well.
My grapes are a year old

I have what I think is ants on my vines but they only seem to flock to the very new growth. So, is this a matter I should be concerned with?
They don't appear to be doing any damage just making babies.

And If I need to remove them what exactly do I need to use, from what I understand it's to late to fertilize them?

I took a picture and I uploaded it so you could see.
Look forward to learning, with everyone these grapes are my babies! lol
Much thanks in advance

Here is a picture I took so yall can see
[img]https://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad285/Mike_Longwell/100_1601.jpg[/img]

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Wiggly.
Look closely at your picture and you can see that amongst the ants are some aphids ( Green fly).
It's these that are attracting the ants.
The ants care for and protect the aphids from other insects that feed on them and in return the aphid provide a sticky sugar like substance that the ants love.
Kill the aphids with a soap spray and the ants will go.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Sorry Wiggly...I should have pointed out that the term Greenfly does not mean that the aphid is necessarily green !!
The ones in your photo I think are a straw coloured variety.

wigglywart
Newly Registered

Thanks for your fast reply!
I don't understand when you say soap spray.
So can I use like dish soap or is there certain soap I am suppose to use?
And, is there a certain mixture or just a couple of drops of dish soap in water?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

wigglywart wrote:Thanks for your fast reply!
I don't understand when you say soap spray.
So can I use like dish soap or is there certain soap I am suppose to use?
And, is there a certain mixture or just a couple of drops of dish soap in water?
Hi Wiggly.

Soap Mixture.............just a couple of teaspoons of mild washing up liquid in a bottle of warm water.
Spray over the aphids with a small hand sprayer...no sprayer?...splash it over.

The soap blockes the breathing tubes on the aphid and kills them.

If there is not a heavy infection a good blast from a hose will often dislodge them without having to resort to spraying at all.

wigglywart
Newly Registered

Awesome!
I youtubed it, gotta love youtube! lol
And from what I can tell looks like there gone.
So another question, figure its the best way instead of making a new topic and killing space.

There probably dumb questions but I'm a city boy who has been uprooted and planted in North Carolina and I have found stuff really grows lol.

The aphids I have or had is that something that is expected and to always keep a eye out for, or was this just a fly bye?
I have had a few bugs out there including this other picture I am gonna post here. I think it's a picture you don't see everyday or may never see, I know for me It's something I never seen.

Once again thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

https://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad285/Mike_Longwell/My%20Grapes/?action=view&current=grapeleaves.jpg

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Aphids....I'm afraid that they are one of those beasties that spring up everywhere and on a whole range of plants Wiggly.
They will eat your roses and nosh on your fruit trees. they come in a whole variety of colours from the pale straw coloured to little black devils.
Most are around in the early part of the year and enjoy the new tender young leaves that are just appearing.
So....keep a lookout for them.

As to your picture......guess its ' doing what comes naturaly '.gg

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”