resolutejc

Concord Grape Seeds Stored in Refrigerator Still Sprout?

I have some Concord grape seeds that I took directly from the grapes. They have been wrapped in foil in my refrigerator for 6 months now. Are they useable? Will they sprout if planted? Any tips on Concord grapes for an indoor grower?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

resolutejc,

Many varieties of fruit should not be grown from seed and Grapes are one of them. Seedlings exhibit an inherent variability that means the new tree or vine you grow won't 'come true' as the old timers say. Grapes are so variable that you could plant hundreds, or perhaps even thousands, of seeds and not find an offspring that resembles the fruit desired.

Grapes are propagated asexually via layers, cuttings or they are grafted into root stock that in turn were propagated asexually. If you are serious about growing grapes you should look into either purchasing vines or taking cuttings soon from an established vineyard.

Norm

resolutejc

Thank you, Norm. After reading your reply, I remember reading elsewhere that a vine clippings are the way to go. I appreciate your reply. Take care.

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”