bradleyheathhays
Newly Registered

Artificial ground cover for a mold prone area

I've got about a 6' x 12' area that gets no sun at all and nothing has ever grown there other than things that have creeped in like vines or whatever, so it's basically just dirt. I'd like to do something quick and easy like lay down some weed mat and mulch, but the tree that's rooted in the area develops a mold problem if the ground surface isn't kept clear of leaves (meaning wet conditions) so I'm concerned that anything I put down will do the same. 

Any ideas what I can do with this ground to make it look more civilized? I'm open to almost anything. Thanks.

PS. This is not the same ground area as mentioned in a previous thread of mine.

bradleyheathhays
Newly Registered

Since I need to make that area look good quickly I'll probably just throw a thin layer of mulch down for now and possibly work in some plants when the weather's better.

I've been suggested both moss and Clover. Any thoughts on either of these?

applestar
Mod

Hi. I wasn’t going to comment since I’m not that sure about artificial material, but since you’re expanding the parameters….

I was curious about the existing tree — what is it?

Also, if you are not sure about keeping living plants going — and I would vote no for clover — they usually like sunny and dry conditions … and moss is tricky — they have their own special needs.

… was this an area that is walked on? How important is visual impact?

I have some ideas but would depend on level of decorative effect and maintenance you are looking for.

…also “no sun at all” — means continuously in shade? Building shadow? Any walls or other structural interests?

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”