bradleyheathhays
Newly Registered

Grass won't grow, almost.

I've got about a 150 sq ft area between my house and garage that gets very little sun. It's always supported some type of smattering of grass and little broad leaf things that pop up and fill in during the summer. This past year I've really worked the topsoil over in that area and just about all the life forms have been turned under. I'd like to get it greened up again but I figure I had better ask some professionals about what kind of grass seed and possibly broad leaf plant seeds I should start out with, considering the low light considerations.

What kind of grass might grow well in this little patch of land? I'm in Lexington, Ky, btw.

Thanks!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

You must have true grass - all I have is countless types of weeds, which have no problem! :lol: Which is why I'm no grass expert, but someone will chime in.

webmaster
Site Admin

Shaded grass, like any other plant that's in the shade, is going to be reaching for the sun. So because of that, you have to mow it with a higher mowing height because the leaves are stretching longer to get some of the available sunlight. So if you mow it too low that's going to work against what the grass is trying to do.

St. Augustine grass has a wide blade that helps it get sun in moderate shade environments.

There are some Kentucky bluegrass varieties that are shade tolerant. Some have a mixture of ryegrass and fescue that are shade tolerant but others are just varieties of Kentucky bluegrass that are shade tolerant.

If you have any nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants they might be a good bet for finding varieties that will thrive in your environment, in addition to the shade issue.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have several areas of the yard where I would like there to be a lawn but there are varying conditions of shade.

One area is under a tree as well as shaded through the morning by the house. It tends to be a fairly heavy traffic area, as well. I used fescue seed several years ago to fill in but it is still a challenge for grass to grow. The lawn is a different color there but it's okay.

Another area close to the north side of the house only has direct sun during the early and late hours through the Summer. It has very little traffic. Moss will grow there, intermixed with the grass. It's okay because of the very low traffic so it looks okay.

It is a little surprising that the white clover that grows happily in areas somewhat shaded will not move into either of these locations. The clover obviously has its limits on shade tolerance. I do not mind the clover in the lawn at all. It's fine with some traffic. Clover is enjoyed by the honey bees. Okay, if I was inclined to be out on the lawn with bare feet, I may have a different attitude towards the clover ;).

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

32 years ago we moved to a house that had places in the yard with no grass. I went to Farmers Co-op they had about 10 different types of grass seed. 1 grass seed said, it grows good in shade, so I bought some. I planted it in Feb and spring rain made it grow.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”