webbj8150
Newly Registered

Raised Bed Floor

Currently, I have a planting box that was created using wall stones (Home depot type) that has dimensions of about 5ft x 6ft at about 3ft in height. Now, I want to add onto this but not as deep. It will be a raised box to equal the height of the main box.

So, this may be unconventional when it comes to raised beds. Using the same wall stones, the new extension will be 2ft x 3ft approximately 1 ½ ft in height raise about a foot or so off the ground on either cinder blocks or something else to support the weight.

My question is on possible flooring material that will support the same type of wall stones on two sides as well as planting dirt. I found a grate that will more than support the weight, but flooring material will be needed on top of the grate to retain the soil. Assumption is a wood floor but not sure what type of wood to use or in what dimensions I.e... would it be a plywood material or slat type board. I’m worried about wood rot due to wet soil and water. I understand eventually rot will happen. Later is better than sooner. Also, would it be possible to only have a wooden floor with proper support to place the stones and dirt on and forgo the grate?

imafan26
Mod

why not use weed cloth on top of the grate to support the soil instead? It will allow water through but should hold the soil as long as the grate does not have very large holes.

MoonShadows

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener, @webbj8150

When I built my raised cold frame beds in my greenhouse, I use 1 x 4 redwood boards for the flooring with weed cloth on top of the boards. You could also use cedar boards which are available at big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. If you have any local independent sawmills in your area, you could check to see if they have any rot resistant woods like Tamarack or Locust. None of these woods will last forever, but you'll get quite a few years out of them. I have raised beds in my yard that are over 5 years old and built from untreated Tamarack (a.k.a. Larch) that are still in great shape.
039-Oct_22.jpg
040-Oct_22.jpg
79-Mar_19.jpg

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”