BobK

Horizontal PVC pipe as a planter.

I have a pretty successful in-ground vegetable garden now, but am looking to expand. I have a spot where in-ground wouldn't work but could consider using elevated (wide diameter) PVC tubing laid horizontally, as a sort of raised bed. Here's a link to some examples I found on-line

https://swebdesign.me/pvc-pipe-gardens/p ... ow-covers/

My concern here is that it will require heavy watering - the location is in direct sunlight a large part of the day. Even though the pipe is white I am sure it will absorb a lot of heat. Experience has shown me that container plants require frequent watering.

One solution might be to put some form of sunshield in front of the white plastic (but not the plants) so no sun actually hits the container itself.

I am considering initially using this as a strawberry bed but may also consider things like lettuce.

Does anyone have advice or experience to share?

Many Thanks in advance!

applestar
Mod

Those pvc gardens are hydroponic....

Have you considered rain gutter sub-irrigated container garden — I think one name is “Raingutter Irrigation System”? Some people use capped 4” PVC pipe in lieu of the rain gutter for better mosquito control and reduced moisture loss by evaporation.

I think it looks interesting but am not handy with power tools and also don’t have a suitable perfectly level length of ground.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the pictures are of hydroponic gardens where watering and heat are not an issue because they are constantly in water. I think those pipe hydroponic gardens usually have water flowing through, either constantly or on an ebb and flow basis, where the water with nutrients is flowing past/over the roots for 15 minutes, then it drains out into the reservoir and the plants are dry for some time period (another 15 minutes?), then the water is pumped back to the top and the cycle starts over.

You haven't told us where you are located and what climate you will be growing in.

BobK

I am in New England. Eastern Massachusetts to be exact. We can set out plants at end-May (typically last frost is on/before mid-May) and still be harvesting up through September. It used to be we'd always get at least one frost by mid-late September but that hasn't happened in years. Now it's more like mid-late October or even early November.

imafan26
Mod

I have worked with the rail and gutter systems. They are very shallow and the rail system does work best hydroponically. We did a fence garden demonstration with a gutter system and only small plants could be used and it required drip irrigation twice a day, and three times a day in summer. If you want to work with pvc consider a tower garden instead
https://www.instructables.com/id/Plant-t ... 5-pockets/

On a vertical tower system, consider what you are planting. I find fewer holes are better for the roots and to reduce crowding. I put drier plants and my tallest plant at the top and I used a combination of trailing and upright plants for the pockets. Never put mint in the pockets, it takes over every thing. Strawberries, thyme, oregano, pansies, alyssum worked the best for me. If you use the concrete paper tubes used to make columns, it has a larger diameter.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”