Ksk
Cool Member

Straw Bale raised beds

Hi. For the first time I did a straw bale garden this year. Nine bales as an experiment with the rest of my warm seasons in the ground. I am very impressed and will definitely expand my straw bale approach next year. I made a few mistakes but overall think this approach has great potential here in the desert southwest where it is bone dry and the soil is poor.

Does anyone on the forum have a straw bale garden? My biggest mistake was not anticipating how big everything would grow. Supports are my latest challenge for my giant tomatoe plants that are getting clobbered by the hot desert winds and turning into a twisted jungle before my eyes. But wow are they producing!

Please share your experiences if you have any of how you achieved success using this method.

drh146
Cool Member

here is a picture of mine from about a week ago. you should post some pictures of yours!

I used 6 bales on top of cardboard. planted, okra, cucumber, basil transplants, and watermelon and cantaloupe seeds. I don't have irrigation on it, and it dries out quickly in the heat, especially where the vining leaves aren't yet covering. But its growing well as long as I stay on watering.
I also will be doing this again as it is a good way to use the soon-to-be-former lawn that is covered in cardboard to become beds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do you treat the bales before hand, to start them decomposing? Do you add any soil?

drh146
Cool Member

I "conditioned" the bales before planting in them. I sprinkled organic fertilizer mix on top, boosted the nitrogen with blood meal, and watered in well. I watered nearly everyday, and added the fertilizer 2 or 3 more times. I checked the temp in the middle often, and after some weeks when it stabilized, anywhere below 100F, I planted in it. I think it was too hot at first for some of the cuke plants, but some took and those that didnt I replaced.
Looking back at my records, I bought the bales on April 21st, and transplanted in them May 6th, so it wasnt even 3 weeks. I would recommend 3 weeks.
I am hoping this fall I can fork through the bales and cardboard into what was lawn, and have some nice 12ft long, in-ground beds.

Ksk
Cool Member

drh146,
Your bale looks great! Very tidy unlike my own. I am working uploading a picture but am getting errors. Possibly too large. Will try again later.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Ksk wrote:drh146,
Your bale looks great! Very tidy unlike my own. I am working uploading a picture but am getting errors. Possibly too large. Will try again later.
Best way to post pictures is upload photo to Facebook that is very easy. Click camera, find photo on your computer, click copy photo. You can also upload photos to Craigslist or Ebay or Photobucket or anyplaces you like, copy and paste here.

Now that you have the photo on FB click it and it gets larger.

Right click the picture on FB then click the option to, Copy Image Location

Return to garden forum then click Img above this pops up

Paste image location in the center of this code Image

You get a picture like this.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”